The Benefits of Rhassoul Clay for Natural Hair!
By Sophia Murphy
Are you familiar with rhassoul clay? If not, maybe it’s time you should be. Rhassoul clay has extensive benefits for kinky, curly, and coily hair including cleansing and detoxifying hair without drying or stripping it of essential oils. Rhassoul is excellent for drawing out impurities and toxins, and removing product build up. It nourishes hair with essential minerals and vitamins; moisturizing and softening the hair while it cleanses. It also improves curl definition.
What is Rhassoul Clay?
Rhassoul clay, also known as Red Clay, Ghasshoul Clay, or Moroccan Clay is a natural mineral clay harvested from the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. This reddish-brown clay has been used by women since the 8th century for hair and skin care. The word rhasshoul is derived from the Arabic word “ghassala” which means “to wash”. Rhassoul clay is similar to bentonite clay in many ways; it is negatively charged so it easily binds to positively charged toxins; it swells when added to water making it highly absorbent; and it is a fine silk-like powder. However, rhassoul clay is unique from other clays in that it is the only clay composed of 100% minerals and trace elements. It boasts a higher mineral content including silica, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and other trace minerals making it extremely beneficial for remineralizing and conditioning.
10 Benefits of Rhassoul Clay for Natural Hair
Rhassoul clay works especially well for dry hair and scalp. Rhassoul can be utilized as a shampoo, a hair mask, or a conditioner. Introduce it to your haircare regimen and see the difference it makes in your hair. It can be used as often as needed. But for beginners, try it at least once a month and experiment with frequency from there. The benefits for afro-textured hair include:
- Reduces dryness
- Reduces flakiness
- Clears clogged pores in the scalp
- Improves hair elasticity
- Aids in detangling
- Reduces frizz
- Soothes scalp problems such as psoriasis and dandruff
- Clarifies and detoxifies
- Cleanses without stripping hair of essential oils
- Re-mineralizes and conditions hair
How to Use Rhassoul Clay
- Mix 1 part rhassoul clay with 1 part warm water. (Portion will vary based on hair thickness and length. However, try ½ cup to start)
- Add 1-2 tbsp of your preferred oil (i.e., coconut oil, EVOO, etc.)
- Mix ingredients to desired consistency
- Apply mixture to scalp and length of the hair. Work in small batches to ensure the scalp/hair is completely covered. Let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes (use a plastic cap).
- Do not allow mixture to dry on the hair
- After desired time, rinse product out, thoroughly
- If desired, apply conditioner and/or moisturizer
Try these great add-ins to get the most out of your rhasshoul clay experience:
- raw honey
- aloe vera juice
Rhassoul clay is effective and affordable. Use it during your next wash day and discover how it can make a difference in your haircare regimen.
Rhassoul clay should only be used with plastic, glass or wood utensils and mixing containers. Do not use metal containers or utensils as these will contaminate the clay and lower its effectiveness.
*Sandra Marieta Rhassoul Clay is for external use only.